Failover Manager Overview
As a WhatsUp Gold user you place immense trust in the robustness and stability of the product. This is indeed your eyes and ears into the health of monitored infrastructure and applications. If something has stopped working the way it should or if failure is impending, WhatsUp Gold solutions alert you immediately. You can start solving the problem even before affected users or your management start calling you. WhatsUp Gold prides itself in providing a solid foundation for IT management including network, server, application and flow monitoring and management.
That said there are still times when WhatsUp Gold may lose visibility into the infrastructure for reasons beyond its control. For example, your maintenance policies may require some downtime for hardware and software upgrading and patching. Your WhatsUp Gold server can lose connectivity to monitored infrastructure because of network failure in your telecom providersâ€™ infrastructure. And potentially your WhatsUp Gold server itself may encounter performance issues, say, from memory or disk corruption or sluggish operation of the Windows system itself.
In any of the scenarios above, you run the potential risk of losing visibility to your infrastructure, even if for short periods. In many monitoring environments that is not an option as â€˜dark periodsâ€™ introduce significant operational and compliance risks.
With WhatsUp Gold Failover Manager you can:
- Set up Primary and Secondary WhatsUp Gold servers for manual or automatic failover
- Select specific event occurrences and conditions that can trigger â€˜failoverâ€™ and â€˜failbackâ€™
- Ensure monitoring data protection through the support for remote database operation
- Remotely manage the failover process from anywhere on the network
- Report failover actions in the Alert Center for single console operations management
- Virtually eliminate the risk of â€˜dark periodsâ€™ or monitoring data loss